Most of us in India are not conscious of the transgender community and their rights before the law. They are often disregarded and neglected in our society. Every Indian citizen has the privilege of seven Fundamental Rights. But, the transgender community holds a different story. Their rights are neither respected nor approved by the society around them. Moreover, Central and State govt. has introduced a number of Welfare Schemes for Transgender to support and help them.
Sewing Machines Scheme for the Transgenders in Kerala
‘Sewing Machine for Transgenders’ is an initiative from the government of Kerala. It is also associate with the social justice department in the state. The scheme is entitled as Kerala Transgender Sewing Machine Scheme. As per the programme, those in the transgender community who have learned sewing will get a free sewing machine. The initiative is to uplift their living through the self-employment method.
According to the Indian Constitution, transgenders are equally eligible for the rights prescribed. Thus, the initiative is well constructed to maintain the decorum of constitutional rights. This ensures everyone including those from the transgenders too has equal opportunity in the social sector. This would bring them a better living and self-respect.
The scheme prescribes certain eligibility criteria and is as follows:
- The applicant must provide their Transgender Identity card.
- The applicant should present an Address proof while applying in the scheme. (They can use their AADHAR CARD or their Voter’s ID)
- The applicant must be adept in sewing works like embroidery or tailoring works.
- Each applicant should submit their application and the prescribed documents to the respective District Social Justice Officer.
Kerala Transgenders Sewing Machines Scheme Application Process Online PDF
The application for the interested is provided on the official website sjd.kerala.gov.in. The application is available in PDF format and thus the applicant must download the hardcopy. The detailed steps for the application are given below.
- The applicants are advise to look into the official website of the Kerala Social Justice Department at http://sjd.kerala.gov.in/.
- After entering into the home-page, you will see various tabs. Click on the icon Schemes.
- Now choose the option ‘Self-employment scheme for Trandgenders’ – sewing machine from the different programmes mentioned in the list.
- Then another page will get open with all the beneficiary details of the particular scheme.
- Click on the icon Application forms for the scheme mentioned.
- After clicking on the icon Application forms, you can see a pdf file getting opened.
- Interested candidates must take a printed copy of the application where you must fill up the required details.
The scheme ensures empowerment for the transgender community. Also, this can be a campaign to break the shackles of exclusion. Let the new wave be a wave of hope and change.